AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Emilie Songolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:12:16 -0500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw&feature=player_embedded#

A little Muppet girl with an afro is getting a lot of attention on YouTube and on a lot of news channels lately with stories on ABC and NPR to name a few. And the puppet has no name. But its creator does - it's Joseph Mazzarino - the head writer at Sesame Street. "I Love My Hair" debuted on the Oct. 4 episode of Sesame Street and is a love letter from father to daughter. Mazzarino and his wife, Tony Nominatated actress, Kerry Butler are parents of 5-year-old, Segi, who they adopted from Ethiopia.

According to NPR, "Mazzarino says he wrote the song after noticing his daughter playing with dolls. 'She wanted to have long blond hair and straight hair, and she wanted to be able to bounce it around' he tells NPR's Melissa Block. Mazzarino says he began to get worried, but he thought it was only a problem that white parents of African-American children have. Then he realized the problem was much larger. In writing the song, he wanted to say in song what he says to his daughter: 'Your hair is great. You can put it in ponytails. You can put it in cornrows. I wish I had hair like you.'"

Read more: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE_TUBE_Sesame_Streets_I_Love_My_Hair_goes_Viral_20101019#ixzz12qOwao5m