From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:06:07 -0700

Dear Listmates,

One of the posters to Silly Yaks and the San Francisco ROCK chapter located
the results of new Celiac research in Australia:

http://www.abc. net.au/news/ stories/2009/
10/22/2721267.htm<http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/22/2721267.htm>

The ABC News Australia article is an interesting juxtaposition to an article
in the November issue of Scientific American in the 50, 100 & 150 Years Ago
Chronicles. The Scientific American article identified that in November 1909
John D. Rockefeller gave $1 Million dollars for research to eradicate hook
worm. The disease causes "pronounced anemia, ... emaciation, ...., great
physical weakness, laziness, mental lassitude, and stupidity."  The
conclusion in the Australian article is a bit ambiguous. It quotes Dr. James
Daveson: "But parasites have been in our bowels for millions of years and we
think they probably should be." Later in the article: But Dr Daveson
cautions against rushing out to try and catch hookworms. "The best treatment
for coeliac disease remains a strict gluten-free diet," he said. "We're
commencing the next phase of this trial this month, but until further work
is done and things are clearer, patients should remain on that diet."

To find out more about hook worm, just initiate a search on your favorite
search engine. For starters, you can go to the US CDC via this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/hookworm/factsht_hookworm.htm.

I was a bit horrified when I read about the testing proposal earlier this
year, and truthfully, I still am. In my view, the self-selected sample of 20
participants is extremely small. However, I view the Australian research as
being an interesting way to interact with the body's immune system, and
perhaps this research will contribute to understanding the celiac response
more fully. If you need to, please feel free to post your opinions directly
to the listserve. I will not be summarizing any emails that I might receive
(pro, con or flames).

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA