VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ana Garza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ana Garza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:47:06 -0700
That's right. When you highlight a cell in a table using Word, only that
particular cell is highlighted. So if you are trying to right align several
rows in the right column, you need to move to each cell separately,
highlight it, and hit ctrl+r to align the text that's inside.

If you don't want to deal with multiple rows, you can put several lines of
text into a single row by hitting ctrl+enter where you want each line to
end.

Ctrl+enter is a soft line break that Word uses to show a particular lay out,
but Word doesn't recognize it as a paragraph break. If you're writing
poetry, for example, you can end each line with ctrl+enter and end each
stanza with plain enter. If you do that, you can use the f8 feature to
highlight the entire stanza/paragraph and delete, copy, or move it.

Inside the cell of a table, you can use ctrl+enter to make a list of items.
That happens frequently in the document I'm working on now.

As far as using tabs, resetting them is definitely an option. Word 2003
already has a tab stop set every half inch (probably every 2.5 cm) for the
body of a document. One possibility for someone not wishing to set and reset
tabs, an iffy feature in earlier versions of Word, is to do what we did back
in the days of typewriters: count the number of characters to be put against
the right margin, tab to the nearest spot before that, and hit the spacebar
x number of times.

To clear all existing tab stops:

1. Go to the paragraphs option in the Format menu by hitting alt+o followed
by p, or by pressing the context key and finding it that way.

2. Get to the Indents and Spacing dialog box with ctrl+tab if you're not
there already.

3. Move through that dialog to Tabs, and press enter.

4. A new dialog box appears. It includes a button that lets you clear all
tabs. Tab to that button and press enter.

To set new tabs:

1. Follow Steps 1-3 to get to the dialog box in Step 4 above.

2. The first item in that dialog box is an edit combo box that says, "tab
stop position," or something like that. Type a number for where you want
your tab stop to appear. I typed 4.25 because I wanted one in the exact
center of my 8.5 inch page.

3. Tab over to Set and press enter.

4. Repeat the last two steps for additional tab stops.

Tab setting seems to work well with Word 2003, but I don't use it enough to
vouch for its consistency. With earlier versions, the tabs would sometimes
disappear.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]