From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:55:34 -0600
If you have laptops, desktops, printers, TIVO's, internet multimedia,
and whatever spread through the house, and you are unable or unwilling
to thread cables everywhere, then that is a reason to have a WIFI
connection.  There is no law that says a desktop will in all cases be
conveniently located, so the WIFI  capability built into the desktop may
save you a slot.  It is probably pretty cheap to build it onto the
motherboard and tout it as a "feature," even if it is generally not to
useful.

BTW, my internet connection is max 1.5mbs.  I doubt that very many home
connections are capable of 54 much less 100, but I have no facts to back
that up.

Dean

On 3/7/2011 12:52 PM, Dave@MonroeCommunity wrote:
> *I just got all of this since my origianl post. I shut off the WIFI
> connection because*
> *it is 54 Mbps at best and the Ethernet connection is 100 mbps. Still cant
> see a reason to put a WIFI card in a desktop*
> *unless the machine can use both at the same time.*
> *
> *
> *Dave
>

>>> *
>>> *I have a new to me, HP Pavillion Desktop. It is a Quad Core with Win 7
>>> 64 bit.
>>> In addition to the ethernet connection it also has a Wifi internal card.
>>> dont know why that would be on a desktop
>>> unles it can use both connections at the same time. Can it ?
>>> --

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com