From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:49:22 -0700
Steve said:
>> I've always assumed that modern man has higher iron levels since
>> Paleo man probably lost a lot more blood from cuts, scrapes,
>> parasites, hunting injuries, etc so that giving blood might be a good
>> thing since it would lower iron levels (higher iron helps infectious
>> bacteria to reproduced) and force replacement of blood cells with
>> more youthful ones. Stimulating the skin from hunting/running might
>> be something we adapted too also benefit from.

Most moderns eat far less meat and likely eat far less green leafy
vegetables. We have some genetically ordained, stringent limitations on
our iron absorption capacities. The blood losses you attribute to Paleo
humans are quite common among moderns who work at manual labour, are
engaged in body-contact sports, or are physically active on weekends in
the woods, etc. Further, intestinal infections and parasites are much
more common in agricultural communities (especially where animal
husbandry is involved) and denser urban populations than in the much
lower population densities associated with HG groups. Nonetheless,  you
may be correct in asserting that giving blood is healthful.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan

--
PK