From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:08:43 -0500
Great news! Wonderful!

Metabolic decline, degeneration, and worse is not simply a function of diet.
In our pill obsessed world, due to social-construction of 'cures' being
identified with the mythic image of the Pharmaceutical Monopoly (an
offspring of the Petroleum and Steal monopolies), most of us have been
raised within a cultural matrix equating curing with 'taking something'. The
etymology of curing is stripping a dead animal of it's skin, then denaturing
that skin to become 'cured' to last forever (or close to it) as something
akin to a mummy. In that respect, I'm disinterested and disinclined to
becoming cured or mummified.

All kidding aside, diet alone is short sighted. The deeper my research goes
- along with connecting a lot of dots - it becomes evident that certain
chemicals produced by the body and associated with tumor development,
pro-inflammation, vasoconstriction, insulin insensitivity - demons, in other
words - become angels as vasodilators (there's a connection between type II
diabetes and male/female erectile dysfunction), anti-inflammatories, and
mitochondria/capillary bed builders (rather than tumor builders), etc. under
certain natural conditions.

Integrative medicine aims at a whole systems approach to the majestic
intricate matrix that is our lives, fulfillment, passion, and play. Both
play and good food will heal; the synergy of them in combination, and
transcending by 'seeing through/rising above' the stressors of life, bring
us close to being Post-Modern Paleos! A contradiction within a paradox (a
compliment once bestowed upon Karl Marx).

Imagine a spectrum, to the extreme left therapeutics aimed at restoration of
vital balance (harmonia in the Krotona gymnasia/academy of Pythagorus, c.
5th Century BCE), while in the middle is a condition of somewhat restorative
balance, a delicate unstable balance matched by a mind/heart giving up on
the penetrating to the core of health kind of analysis we'd expect of
Socrates, the Buddha (aka The Cool in Sanskrit), Pythagorus, Ivan Illich,
and a few more. To the extreme right is Peak Performance, the realm of
hardbodied athletes, those men and women in their late 60s who embarrass the
crap out of unfit 30 year olds. Perhaps the further reaches of the dormant
human potential are merely enfolded (qua Karl Pribam) messages from our
Paleo progenitors, heralding the next step in evolution as being what Jonas
Salk deemed "survival of the wisest".

Resistance training - bodyweight, weights, kettlebells, tubes and cables,
NEVER those DAMNED MACHINES robbing you of working all 650+ muscles, will
prevent and restore vitality. And bring play and fun back to your life. True
Intelligent Training is hormonal or metabolically enhancing training,
fitness for living. Mere reliance on diet alone is half-assed instead of
whole-hearted, likely rationalizations (aka excuses) for laziness. Reframed,
the better shape you get in, the better organized and restored your hormones
will become - among other things - resulting in horny, sexually alive and
pleasured mature men and women. No, not that neurotic work ethic but the
Paleo Pleasure Principle - our paleo progenitors were likely of the same
ethos as bonobo monkeys embodying the pleasure principle.