AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:18:23 -0500
From:

               JOIN GHAMA CELEBRATE 52ND GHANA INDEPENDENCE

                          ON MARCH 14, 6PM @ EAGLE HEIGHTS

            ------ AAM/BBBS "UBUNTU" MENTORING PROGRAM --------

         ORIENTATION AND SOCIAL FOR MENTORS & MENTEE FAMILIES

                              MARCH 14, 2009 AT 2PM

              UNITED WAY HOUSE, 2059 ATWOOD AVE, MADISON

           INFO, Contact: Koso Weller <[log in to unmask]>
                                Dick Lowe <[log in to unmask]>

Congratulations, Hongera!!

Tru Mwololo

>                JOIN GHAMA CELEBRATE 52ND GHANA INDEPENDENCE
>
>                           ON MARCH 14, 6PM @ EAGLE HEIGHTS
>
>             ------ AAM/BBBS "UBUNTU" MENTORING PROGRAM --------
>
>          ORIENTATION AND SOCIAL FOR MENTORS & MENTEE FAMILIES
>
>                               MARCH 14, 2009 AT 2PM
>
>               UNITED WAY HOUSE, 2059 ATWOOD AVE, MADISON
>
>            INFO, Contact: Koso Weller <[log in to unmask]>
>                                 Dick Lowe <[log in to unmask]>

> Please join in congratulating Prof. Aliko Songolo
>
> He has been "knighted" by the French Minister of National Education!
>
> Dear African Studies Program members:
>
> We are thrilled to tell you that our colleague, Aliko Songolo,
> Professor of French and Italian and of African Languages and
> Literature, Past President of the African Studies Association,
> former director of the African Studies Program, has been named
> "Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes academiques" by the French
> Minister of National Education, effective October 8th, 2008.
>
> Aliko just learned of the honor.
>
> Aliko modestly says he is not sure of the precise reasons why he
> deserves it. But I say, on behalf of the entire African Studies
> community at Wisconsin: "Warmest congratulations, Aliko. We ARE sure
>  of the reasons you deserve this!"
>
> Join me, please, in reminding Aliko ([log in to unmask]) of a few of
> the reasons.
>
> Sharon Hutchinson
> Director, African Studies Program
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> 205 Ingraham Hall
> Madison, WI 53706
> Tele: 608-262-4460/2866
> Alternative email: [log in to unmask]
>  ==================================================================
>
> Ordre des Palmes Académiques
> From Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org]
>
> The Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms) is an
> Order of Chivalry of France to academics and educators. The order
> was originally created by Napoleon to honour eminent members of the
> University of Paris. It was re-established on 4 October 1955 by
> President René Coty and is one of the world's oldest civil awards.
>
> Originally, the palmes académiques were only given to teachers or
> professors. In 1866, the scope of the award was widened to include
> major contributions to French national education made by anyone
> including foreigners. It was also made available to French nationals
>  outside of France who had made major contributions to the expansion
>  of French culture in the rest of the world.
>
> The Ordre des Palmes académiques has three grades:
> Commandeur (commander) — medallion worn on necklet
> Officier (officer) — medallion worn on ribbon with rosette on left breast
> Chevalier (knight) — medallion worn on ribbon on left breast
>
> Decisions on nomination and promotion are made by the Minister of
> Education. For those not connected to state-sponsored public
> education or the Ministry of National Education, these decisions are
>  made on January 1. For all others, they are made on July 14, which
> is Bastille Day.

> [...]

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle"