From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:42:32 -0800
Hi Dedy,
There are small variations in milk composition between species but the
principle still applies. Milk is nature's food for infant mammals.
Quantities of iron in human milk are negligible. Human infants typically
rely on iron stores built up in utero during the final weeks before
birth. These stores should last until they begin eating solid foods at
about 6 months. I presume that the dynamics are similar in all mammals.
Thus, when  milk is used to feed infants there is little need for the
Ca/iron to be balanced. In humans, several developments converge
suggesting an appropriate time to begin weaning at about 6 months of
age. Continued consumption, beyond infancy, of such a specialized food
is problematic in a number of ways. Just as we are not genetically well
equipped to eat grains, we are also not equipped to consume milk beyond
infancy. For instance, there are 8 opioid sequences in cow's milk. While
these are clearly beneficial to infants there is little value in the
whole adult population consuming a mild  but highly addictive sedative.
Regular consumption of buffalo, goat, or ewes' milk is just as likely to
incite immune reactions as cows' milk if eaten regularly. These are
foods that have evolved specifically for each species.

The retention of lactase into adulthood is an adaptation that certainly
qualifies dairy as a very useful starvation food. During famines, dairy
consumption may not be an ideal nutritional strategy but it sure beats
starvation. On the other hand, chronic use of such foods is difficult to
justify as a healthful strategy.

Best Wishes,
Ron