From:
Joan Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:02:45 -0500
 A recent re-examination of Neanderthal bones has revealed butcher marks on all of them.  Put this in the context of the Neanderthal as having the physique of our top athletes and thus needing about 4000 calories a day.  This would have been a creature that was always hungry.  The friend who told me of these recent findings has theorized that Neanderthals have left their mark in European folk memory as the trolls of our fairy stories: human-shaped, immensely strong, not too bright, ate people.

 ~ Joan