From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:43:17 -0400
Since this is a fresh install of windows which is having troubles (and it
occurs even in safe mode), I'd be inclined to think in terms of a hardware
problem.  Some of the steps that I'd take would be to carefully inspect the
capacitors on the motherboard for signs of bulging at the top.  If I had a
different power supply that would work with this system, I'd see what
happens with it.  I'd probably, also, try to boot from a CD with an
operating system, such as the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows.  This CD will let
you run MemTest from the CD (before booting into a windows environment) and
run Prime95 (from within the windows environment).  Screen freezes, also,
make me think of an overheating video card.  If you have a card with a fan,
make sure it is running.  If it is fanless, as most integrated graphics are,
maybe check to see if an external fan makes any difference.  I suppose,
while you are at it, make sure the CPU isn't overheating, either.  Check to
see if the BIOS has any hardware monitoring options, and (or) use SpeedFan
(included with UBCD4Win) to check some onboard temps.

Finally, looking more at the software side, did things seem to work better
before you started adding updates?  Perhaps the system isn't happy with
something that got added along the way.

I know this isn't helping you narrow down what to look at, but with a
problem like you describe I'd basically be trying to figure out ways to test
and rule out everything I could, one step at a time, hoping that I make a
lucky guess before too long.

Good luck,

John