Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:44:31 -0700
Dave wrote:
> *OK First yes (Of course both can be used at the same time)*

  Sort of true, but not trivial.  Certainly not automatic.

> Then no (However, normally one will be the default and will handle all the
> traffic.)

Not strictly correct, but effectively true for average users with
average equipment and typical consumer services.

> Then yes (There are reports that Windows 7 can "load balance" with two
> connections but I've not tried it since I'm running XP.)

  "Load balancing" is only one version of "using both at the same time",
and requires two (or more...) ISP connections *that support it*.  Not
"typical consumer service".

> Then no (However, for XP (and possibly Win 7) to use both at the same time
> is another matter. )
>
> Then yes with special software (Special software and setups may be required
> to fully utilize them. One of the provisos is that you have two ISP's or at
> least two primary TCPIP addresses from ISP's.

Not technically accurate, but average users don't need the details.

> One piece of software is NAT32 (www.NAT32.com <http://www.nat32.com/>) run in the Host Transfer
> Mode.)

I won't say it's impossible because I'm not familiar with this product.
But given my experience with connecting enterprise networks to multiple
ISPs, I expect that there are actual requirements and limitations not
well stated here.  For users whose equipment and available services meet
those requirements, it may be a viable option.

  See my comment that it's "not automatic".  Third-party add-on software
may help.

> I'm confused !

It's pretty unlikely that you need to worry about it.  If you have a
special need and some additional funding, it can probably be done.  But
adding a second NIC doesn't, by itself, get you to a "plug it in and go"
point.  That's all most people need to know.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml