From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:53:51 -0500
In terms of nutrition and longevity, I can understand the value of enzymes
in raw animal foods yet am not convinced of the value of enzymes in raw
plants.  I am likely jaded because a stint with raw food veganism many years ago
was disasterous for my health. Whether it's damaged metabolism or the fact
both my parents were diabetics (type 2) -- I simply cannot handle all the
carbohydrates and natural sugars from copious amounts of veggies, fruits,
beans, whole grains etc found in vegan diets. Yet in today's Mercola newsletter
-- he includes a clip of a purportedly 109 year old nearly all raw (70% or
so) vegan (Bernando LaPallo) who appears to be in incredible health.  He has
eaten this way since he was 5 -- he is also an herbalist. Unlike many vegans
-- he is not a "starchatarian."   If he's for real -- he's amazing. Perhaps
he is able to utilize the enzymes from raw fruits and veggies -- plus the
interview mentioned he soaks his grains and beans (beans and nuts are his
protein).  I believe that with the exception of fermented raw veggies and
avocado, soaked nuts or papaya -- there would be far more enzymes present in raw
animal products such as raw  fish, raw meat, raw dairy, raw eggs etc.

 I was recently supposed to undergo unexpected surgery (very relieved to
have dodged that bullet for now) and asked the German born and trained surgeon
about using systemic enzymes to help minimize/prevent adhesions.  I've read
that all hospitals in Germany routinely use them for that purpose and to
reduce swelling, speed healing.  He seemed clueless about them and said he'd
be suspicious of anything that is "systemic."  That was surprising and
disappointing.  I do take Wobenzyme for tendonitis and have found it quite
effective. They did nothing to reduce my uterine fibroids -- same with serrapeptase
+ enzyme product.  My husband uses digestive enzymes and finds they help
quite a bit.   I only take digestive enzymes if I've really over eaten because
I generally seem to have very strong digestion.

I would like to start incorporating much more in the way of raw animal
foods into my diet.