From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:30:43 -0600
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:58:56 -0600, Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> HGs always resisted going into farming, ... because they
> didn't want the drudgery of farmwork.

That may be.  But there had to be an advantage, or farming wouldn't have
"stuck".

> It's not the same as riding in the air-conditioned tractor these days.
> And it's not like having a cute little home garden that you put afew
> hours a week into.   If you had to actually support your familyby
> farming, using stone and wood tools, it would be a huge
> amount of work.

My "cute little home garden", as you put it, coupled with my flock of
chickens, can supply a large amount of food without 12 hour days in the
field.  In fact I spend very little time out there during the growing
season other than just walking around looking at things.   And I don't
even own a tractor.  I do put in some long days when it's harvest time,
but that's nowhere near year-round.

What *would* be a lot of work, though, is harvesting and processing
*grains* -- something I have never bothered doing on any significant scale.

Garden smarter, not harder.

--
   Robert Kesterson