From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:24:30 -0800
Hi Ken,
Okay. We agree that exercise, in the context of a good diet, enhances
bone mineralization. But I don't work
out or lift weights or do the vigorous exercise that I used to do. (I
worked at carpentry and furniture moving
until I was 40 years old.) So maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have
been about my activity level. For my
age and lung health I am pretty active. And I have some relevant
experience with bone mineralization.

About 15 years ago I broke a couple of ribs shingling a shed in the back
yard. I went to the doctor and got a
bone scan. I was almost osteoporotic. Based on my reading of the medical
literature, I started taking Mg
supplements. I didn't change anything else until about 4 years later
when I started taking some calcium too.
After 5 years I got another bone scan. My bone density was close to that
of a 25 year old. My doctor
was convinced that the test was wrong because that can't happen. I have
taken a number of falls, bumps, and
abrasions since then without any broken bones. I certainly wouldn't
claim to be at peak fitness, even for a
person with my lungs, but I believe that I am doing pretty well, mostly
on diet. I have an operation coming up in
March that will limit my activity even further for a few weeks but I'm
optimistic. Given what you and others
have said, I plan to increase my activity level for the next 2 months to
improve my recovery. That said, I
recovered very quickly from a major surgery a few years ago, with my
wife bringing all of my food from home.
While others undergoing similar surgery were kept in the hospital for 14
+ days, I was out in 4. The doctor
attributed my speedy recovery to my "incessant" walking in the halls,
wheeling my IV unit along. I can't handle
jogging or running but I do stride along at a pretty good pace and I
walk at least several miles on my daily trek.
Thus, although I'm comparatively sedentary, I'm not sitting in front of
the TV set for 8 hours a day or anything
like that.

My operation, by the way, is to correct torn cartilage in my knee from
an accident  in the 80s that I
re-injured building our house a in 2008.

Best Wishes,
Ron

--
PK