From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:18:57 -0800
Let me first say that I'm not into fitness in the athletic or
body-building sense. My only interest in fitness is for maintenance of
current health, mobility, and strength as it relates to being able to
putter in my garage/workshop, or wrestle with household tasks - and win.
I'm also a big fan of longevity but am not convinced of the benefits of
an exercise program to that end.   I am 62 years old and have fairly
severe lung disease (about 51% of normal function due to diffuse scar
tissue) so my exercise can not be intense. Despite all of that, my
experience may be relevant to the present discussion. When I excluded
gluten, almost 20 years ago, I experienced significant reductions in
post-exercise muscle pain and stiffness.

Having read (in Lyle Macdonald's book) that a ketogenic diet improved
the lung function of  healthy young adults by about 10%, I tried the
diet.  The first time, I experienced about a 30% improvement in lung
function as measured by peak flow expiration rate.  I have since had
several stints of following the diet, but the allure of carbohydrates
usually proves just too much for me and I falter. However, during those
times of ketosis, my lung power increases. Post-exercise muscle pain and
stiffness also disappears. It is difficult to tell whether the many
other benefits of this diet ensue from my improved breathing or more
directly from the diet but I experience a variety of benefits.

I can only guess that part of your (Jim, Wally, and Keith) improved
fitness is driven by your diet. For myself, I can be very confident that
is the underlying cause of my improvements since that is about the only
factor that has changed. I don't do any exercise other than walking and
puttering in my garage.

Best Wishes,
Ron