From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:19:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Art DeVany's book: "The New Evolution Diet"
From: Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:16:28 -0600

> Dr Sebring's video is about Paleo - and nutritionalist Lynda Arrendo is
> support to that.

>> If you watch my video at: http://www.sebringclinic.com/videos/
>> I got into a lot more depth than is reasonable to type into an
>> email: what's more Dr Sebring covers Paleo tour de force.

I looked through your video, Ken. First time I have seen the phases of male bodybuilding history from the 1940s linked so clearly to nutrition and supplements. Very nicely done!

I liked your sensible advice "Don't copy the other people in the gym". It reminds me of the most valued comment I have ever received at my gym: when I was in my early 50s a fellow asked me "How come you don't do any of the standard exercises, yet you have the best body in the gym?"

From a palaeo perspective I tend to disagree with your advocacy of a pre-workout snack or meal and a post-workout drink. Following Art DeVany, I exercise on an empty stomach (and never "fall through the floor" as you put it) and I don't eat or drink for at least an hour after exercise. My workouts are fairly heavy (eg a set of 10 deadlifts at 2x bodyweight) but have never found the need to eat or - except rarely in summer - to drink during or immediately after exercise. That pattern seems to me to reflect well the hunter-gatherer model. I'll look at Dr Sebring's videos and see what he gives as the rationale.

BTW, I admired your movements - imitating a sprinter, swinging your body - the poise and relaxed control was beautiful!

Once again, thanks for the information.

Keith