From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:34:19 +0100

It's true that boiling meats produces fewer amounts of heat-created toxins(ie HCAs, PAHs, NSAs and AGEs) tha grilled meats, say. However, those toxins from boiling are still harmful. Even worse, the bacteria in the food get completely destroyed by boiling along with all the enzymes. Enzymes already start getting destroyed at temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius/104 degrees Fahrenheit, so are completely destroyed when the food is boiled(I believe there are highly unusual  exceptions such as enzymes in bacteria capable of surviving in hot geysers, but that's not relevant to the issue of enzymes in food).

Getting hold of cheap high-quality meats isn't all that difficult. For example, I found that by frequenting London farmers' markets(specifically, the LFM), I was able to get hold of wild game such as wild hare carcasses or wild mallard duck at prices half that for so-called "organic/grassfed" meats. And a number of small-time farmers are unable to afford the cost of official conversion to organic status, yet hold the same equivalent standards for their animals, nevertheless.

Plus, it makes better sense, IMO,to buy half the usual food-supply in the form of higher-quality foods than to buy twice as much of low-quality foods.

Geoff

> Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:43:31 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: enzyme loss in boiling meat?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I was thinking about the problems with cheap meat. Though i'd like to
> consume more raw meat, t he quality of stuff I get makes me sceptical of
> possible parasites or other unsavouries [I try to save money]. Does anyone
> have any thoughts on boiling meat n regards to enzyme loss.
>

> I have also heard that boiled meat contains a lower quantity of HCAs
> relative to other styles, which is a bonus J
>
> -J

Beyond Hotmail — see what else you can do with Windows Live.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665375/direct/01/