Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:54:01 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Trish Leon <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Adrienne:

Sorry you are facing surgery. Have you spoken with your physician regarding your chosen way of eating?  When I had surgery, I made sure that my doctor was well aware of my eating plan, and I also put into writing my specific dietary concerns and made sure it was included in my medical file, hospital charts, and posted in my room.
Regarding IV's, there are many kinds. Most IV's contain  salts, glucose, amino acids, lipids, vitamins, etc. They may keep you on the IV for the first 24-36 hours post op if they plan to keep you for 48 hours. They also  may keep the IV in until just prior to discharge. I'm not sure there is a way around the glucose in an IV.

The most important thing is communication between you and your physician. Bring a cooler that can hold eggs, and broths, and foods you would normally eat.  Most hospitals will allow you to use the ward's microwave to heat things up. If not, there are usually microwaves down in the cafeteria that people can use freely. You might not feel up to eating solids the first 24 hours due to pain medication and anesthesia. The doctor will most likely order clear fluids as tolerated thereafter, and the dietitians will push things like jellos, juices and broths. You can make your own broths and keep in a cooler, and soups. Make sure you have a written copy of your dietary preferences in your hospital chart, and in your room posted where nurses, staff and others can plainly see it. Most hospitals accommodate kosher, vegan, vegetarian requirements. Just have open dialog with everyone you can prior to the surgery, especially your physicians.

Good luck to you, and get better fast!