From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 10:25:56 EST

> I have seen in the list as to avoid is caramel color.  In our pocket
> dictionary of allowable food additives it lists caramel as "a brown coloring
> made by heating sugar or glucose in the presence of acid or alkali, used for
> coloring foods and confections.  I took this to be the ingredient caramel
> color and if so what is wrong with having this in foods?  anyone ??

Caramel color can come from "burnt" sugar, in which case it is okay for
celiacs.  However, it can come from other sources, too.  One method of
creating caramel color is to extract it from fermented grain by-products.
In that case, it could be contaminated by gluten from the grains it was
extracted from.

Both Coke and Pepsi contain caramel color.  However, I have received from
both companies lists of gluten-free products; both are okay.  (The caramel
color is from a non-grain source.)