VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:19:09 -0500
Hi All:

I was helping a client this morning.  She's got a Gateway computer
running Windows Vista.  She was trying to read the Users Guide for the
computer, she has Adobe 8 on the system, but when she pressed enter to
read the guide it said her version of Adobe 8 doesn't support screen
readers.

It gave her a site to go to and download a version of Adobe which
supports screen readers, www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html.
We went there, and this appeared to be an Adobe download site.  There
were three combo boxes which showed that she had Windows for operating
system, Vista as the version and English as the language.  After that,
there was a continue button, which I suggested my client hit space bar
on to activate as the combo boxes were all correct.  She did this and
nothing happened.  I had her hit enter on this button and still, nothing
happened.

I figured what must be going on is that this site had a way to scan her
computer and see she had Adobe 8.  Simple enough, I figured, let's
uninstall it.  We went to control panel, Programs and features, and
looked for Adobe 8.  It was not in the list of programs.

So my question is, how can I help my client get rid of the Adobe 8 she
has on her system so we can download a version that supports screen
readers.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)