From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:40:23 -0600
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:54:36 -0600, william <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What kind of fat do you use?
>
> I ask because I have been using beef fat from around the kidneys, and
> the resulting pemmican tastes like candle wax & sawdust.
> Then I read this: http://tiny.cc/XIofv which makes me wonder as I've
> been told here that kidney fat is high in stearic acid.
My latest pemmican was from grass-finished buffalo: a flank steak which I
wouldn't use
again, and rendered buffalo fat.  The buffalo fat was really great; had a
tiny overtone of
grass taste about it, very fresh-tasting.  But flank steak has so much
connective tissue that the jerky was very hard to grind for pemmican, so
next time I'll use round steak.

In years gone past, I used to use grass-fed lean beef round steak for the
meat part, and home-rendered pork fat for the fat part. Tasted yummy as
you might imagine, but I had to eat it with a spoon because the pork fat
is quite soft, and it wouldn't have the keeping qualities of a true
pemmican (mine never stayed around long enough for me to notice).

I also have had the experience of rendered beef tallow being waxy and
unpleasant, even when starting with high-quality beef.

Thanks, Todd, for the technical information on stearic acid and kidney fat.

	Lynnet