BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:00:56 +1100
John

That's a well-thought through, detailed, and I'm sure effective business strategy.  Congratulations on developing and executing it so well.

Over the past twenty years of carrying out façade inspections on buildings, both heritage and modern, I've contemplated the '5-year call' on a number of occasions, and for various reasons, never really got it working.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind that even the owners of modern high-rise office blocks will rise to the temptation of such a strategy - one of my previous colleagues developed a very successful programme with a major asset manager involving annual inspections of the facades of the properties in the portfolio - about 12-15 buildings in all - as a result of the ongoing relationship.

But the main reason for this reply was a story about the best case of outsourced institutional memory relating to a building I've experienced ...

... in 2003, my colleague and I were asked to undertake a 'due diligence' inspection on a high-rise office block built in the late 1980s.  This type of inspection was common-place - it was typically based on 1-2 drops in the window cleaning basket, a review of the drawings and maintenance files (if they existed), and a brief report identifying the general condition, any major issues, and forecasting indicative capital & maintenance works in the next 5-10 years.  Risky, but quick turnround work - and a great entrée into a longer-term relationship with the building owner in some cases.

... the building in question had a glass curtain-wall, and the glass was held in place solely by structural silicone (4-sided structural silicone glazing) with no captive or mechanical glazing beads.  At the time of construction, the local authority had approved this, but soon after, in 1990, they became concerned about the technique, and introduced retrospective requirements for inspection and monitoring of all buildings with 4-sided structural silicone glazing.  My colleague and I had been heavily involved in working with the local authority (to reduce their onerous demands) at the time, and had actually completed the inspection and monitoring plan for this particular building.  We had referred to the requirements and documentation in our 2003 'due diligence' report, but as there were no issues, even after completion of the 10 year monitoring cycle (and our experience had shown us that up to then, the main issues were factory faults rather than in-service problems), we had not highlighted it in our summary.

... we were participating in the 'wrap-up' meeting of the due diligence consultants, when the code compliance consultant raised a critical issue.  There was, he stated, an outstanding order with the local authority relating to the entire façade of the building.  Quiet descended over the room.  The potential purchaser (and all 15-20 of the other consultants) turned their gaze to us.  "Why didn't you know about this?", we were asked.  We sought further information.  The code compliance consultant stated that an order from 1990 was outstanding, relating to something about silicone glazing.

We smiled, and said that this wouldn't be an issue - clearly the local authority had failed to close out their own order.  The potential purchaser asked us how we could be so confident.  We explained that (working for a different firm of consultants) we had undertaken a complete inspection, prepared a monitoring plan, and subsequently completed two scheduled monitoring inspections, all of which had been submitted to council and accepted.  And we knew this because WE HAD DONE IT.  Whilst there was nothing in the building records, and clearly, the local authority records were not in good order, the institutional memory was alive and well in our bodies.

Trouble is, as John points out, without the relationships (which we weren't always good at maintaining), the institutional memory was lost.  This is one of the reasons why I have a detailed curriculum vitae listing many of the buildings I have worked on, and why it is downloadable from my website.  I get at least 1-2 calls per year from people who have found my CV through a search, and want to find out more information about an aspect of their own building!  So there is another plank in the marketing process - list the buildings you've worked on, and what you did, on your website.  Doesn't need to be fancy with lots of pictures, nor very detailed.  Just get the right words that will come up in a search result.

Cheers

David West
Executive Director
internationalconservationservices