From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:31:14 -0600
well, unless your in a wheelchair, you could think about using two feet and
a heart beat hi.
airline travel is fairly straight forward.
if you can find someone to help you to the check in counter, then the
airport or airline company will typically provide you with an assistant to
get you to your gate and will sometimes wait with you until your plane is
ready to board.  If they don't wait with you, then they will alert the gate
attendant who will either help you or ask one of the airline attendants to
help you board.
Once you get to your destination, the same will occur, but in reverse.
You can request that an airport attendant of some kind assist you with
baggage claim and getting you out to the taxi q or  helping you to a certain
terminal or entrance where you are to be picked up.
I have managed solo travel from door, to final destination many
times...essentially you have a cab pick you up at home, go to the airport,
have the taxi driver either flag a skycap porter, whatever, even a secuirty
guard to help you to get your luggage and yourself to the right check in
line.  this person will usually wait with you and help you to navigate the
check in line up until you reach the ticket agent....the ticket agent will
then pass you onto some sort of authorized person to assist all the way to
the plane or gate.
Airports and airlines all train their staff to assist those with
disabilities.  It also makes their job a bit easier if you ask for
assistance when you book your ticket.  They will then have someone alerted
prior to your arrival and will sometimes even have someone watching for you
near your terminal.
This can prevent delays and anoyed staff at all stages.
Before you land, info will be sent to the terminal that a passenger requires
assistance...sometimes this info is vague and they will show up with a
wheelchair...they aren't told the nature of the disability or the assistance
needed...at any rate, they're trained to help and it'll more than likely run
smooth for you all the way through.
I've travelled extensively both nationally and internationally and have
never run into any problems obtaining help in an airport.
regards
Colin