Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:28:54 -0400
Well even running a hundred watts on C.B. is already way over 20 times the
legal limit allowed so a thousand watts is definitely overkill. With that
said it's a playground for non hams to use either as a work band or just to
cause trouble. I like the idea of using it as a work band. It's a learning
point and hopefully you can build from it and get on other bands so you're
not just limited to one. Also about talking locally, I suppose there's valid
points to leaving some of the other work bands for D.X, but here's a thought
though. Every now and then when I can talk a few of these guys here to sit
on some frequency on 15 meters we've often gotten some pleasant surprises. I
remembered just recently I told 2 people to meet me on 15 meters for a short
Q.S.O. and I was reasonably sure we would be alone. It was after midnight
and as we talked for a while someone from California broke in and we talked
to them and a few others for a while. So had we not have been active, we
would have totally slept on a pretty good band opening. When the rest of
them signed I heard some power stations from South America and had I been
able to speak Spanish, I probably could have worked them at that strange
hour. Oh and incidentally a lot of the conversations I've broken in on
around 17 meters for instants were a few locals from some place just sitting
there. So if they weren't there I would have skip passed and not given it a
second thought. So regardless of openings, when you tune threw the bands, it
kind of helps if people are there. Otherwise it's pointless to keep scanning
for nothing. I don't know about you however in my case, I seldom put out
C.Q. calls anymore on some random frequency. I might have 14 or so years ago
but now it's just as easy for me to bust in on someone else's Q.S.O. Of
course assuming that they're ok with it. As soon as I sense that I'm
interrupting I leave and find something else. So I rely on hearing people
talking. I supposed if I called and called C.Q. like thirty thousand times
in a frequency noone monitors, I'd eventually get someone. Maybe I could do
like those contesters with a recording of their C.Q. call over and over
until someone answers. Naw. For me I spin the dial a few times and if I'm
not successful getting someone's attention then off the radio goes and for
me it's either back to the computer to read these messages, or it's time to
go outside or something.----- Original Message -----