Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:10:30 -0600

More great ideas about meatballs....

From: Arthur
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21468/1/Aunt-Connies-Meatballs-and-Italian-Gravy-Gluten-Free-Pasta-Sauce/Page1.html

I think you will really enjoy the meatballs and the red Italian gravy. The recipe is fairly simple, although there are a lot of ingredients. The more time it all has to cook, at low temperatures, the better it comes out. Also, this is one of those recipes where the food tastes even better the next day.
So, if you are planning on having the whole family over on a Sunday afternoon and you can cook this up on Saturday, it will be superb the next day. After cooking, let it cool before refrigerating. Then, let it sit in the fridge over night. The next day, you will be able to skim the congealed fat off the top, so the fat content will be way down and the flavors of the herbs and spices, tomatoes, wine and meat have all had a chance to "get to know each other."
This recipe is one I have modified for the GF diet, but was handed down to me by my dear Italian "aunt," in whose kitchen I spent many happy days while growing up. When she found out that I published the recipe, she was so flattered, she could barely contain herself.
The gravy can become the base for lasagna, spaghetti, or any pasta dish.
If you like your food a little bit spicier, you can add Italian style "hot/spicy" sausages, which will kick it up a notch. Just be sure that your sausage is GF!!

From: Joan

I use Cream of Rice cereal to bind the meatballs. I also use it for meatloaf. Two tablespoons per pound of meat. It works better that eggs.

--------------------------
From: Lisa

Even before going GF, I couldn't master good meatballs, but now I use Carol Fenster's mother meatballs.  The best I've ever made.

------------------------------
From: Susan

My mom makes fabulous GF meatballs by substituting Nature's Path GF corn flakes (crushed) for bread crumbs.  She doesn't use a recipe per se--just experimented with different amounts until the meatballs came out right.  They're so good that she doesn't bother making a separate GF batch--everyone eats these happily.   And kids would enjoy crushing up the corn flakes!

------------------------------
From: Bev C

I use ground chicken, minced garlic, 1 egg per pound of meat, parsley 1 tsp, 1 tsp pepper or less if your family dislikes, and low fat potato chips ground up instead of breadcrumbs.  I bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  I don't have measures as I typically cook by how it looks.  Place cooked meatballs in sauce about an hour before serving.  I have also used ground turkey.  We don't eat red meat but this works well with ground beef as well.  Good luck, it is very easy to make.

------------------------

From: Nancy

4		medium potatoes
1		pound ground sirloin
1		bunch green onions (scallions)
2-1/2	teaspoons black pepper
1-1/2	teaspoons garlic powder
2-1/2 	teaspoons salt
1		teaspoon nutmeg
1,2 or 3	eggs (the mixture should retain its shape and not fall apart
when fried or served)
Splash	Worcestershire Sauce
Splash	Gluten-Free Soy Sauce

These are Indonesian meatballs (Perkedel Goreng).  You may be shocked by the amount of potatoes, but it works.  When having a party, I make the meatballs ahead and fry them lightly, then freeze them  in a single layer.  When solidly frozen, I move the meatballs to gallon plastic bags for freezer storage.  When the party starts, finish cooking in a microwave for about 10 minutes.  Serve with mustard.

-------------------------------------

From: Joanne

I don't have exact measurements for the meatball recipe I make for my family, but if you are comfortable with estimations, here it goes:

ground beef
ground sausage
1 egg per pound of meat
parsley
chopped garlic (optional)
salt and pepper to taste (I use Jane's Mixed Up Crazy Salt) Grated parm. cheese (at least 1/2 cup per pound of meat) Orgran Gluten Free All Purpose Crumbs (almost 1 cup per pound of meat)
1/2 cup water - keeps the meatballs moist

I bake them (undercook a bit) and freeze them in bags.  I take out what I need for dinner and simmer them in a pot of sauce on low until cooked.  My family loves them.  You can use any gluten free crumbs.  The more seasoning/cheese used the better.  The additional water keeps the meatball nice and moist.