From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 10:58:29 -0700

I received several responses to my question about whether Oracea is gluten free when I could not find out from calling the company.  As always, this List provides wonderful invaluable information!  I'm so grateful to all of you.  I have learned so much, and continue to learn, from reading these posts.  It is so fantastic to have somewhere to turn to when in doubt.  I am still going to call the company and press again for an answer.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?  Thanks so much!

wrong, wrong, wrong.   call the co again and ask to speak to the pharmacist. a pharma. or nurse will talk to you and tell you if it is gf.  if you get that nonsense again about not talking to you, just tell them that you are going to report them to the fda..THEY MUST TALK TO YOU AND GIVE YOU GF INFO...it's the law

**********
I took it without any problems. I cannot assure whether it is GF though.

**********
I've no experience with the drug itself, but the ingredients list is easy enough to find. One location is <http://www.drugs.com/pro/oracea.html>:
Inert ingredients in the formulation are: hypromellose, iron oxide red, iron oxide yellow,
methacrylic acid copolymer, polyethylene glycol, Polysorbate 80, sugar spheres, talc, titanium
dioxide, and triethyl citrate. Active ingredients: Each capsule contains doxycycline, USP in an
amount equivalent to 40 mg of anhydrous doxycycline.

None of these is a gluten ingredient. Obviously, that says nothing about possible
cross-contamination, but getting _that_ sort of info is often impossible. Please do be aware that
Oracea isn't an alternative to antibiotics--it is a time-release antibiotic. It's
doxcycline--related to tetracycline. If you're allergic to any of the antibiotics in that group,
you shouldn't take it. You'll find the full prescribing info, patient info, etc. at drugs.com
(among other sites--it's one I often use)

IMO better to take a known good antibiotic than to take something that no one knows what is in it.  I would not trust a company that cannot tell you what is in their med - that is pretty bad...

I have taken it for 2 years now and have not at any time had a reaction from
it.
THANK YOU!