From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:01:00 -0800

Dear Listmates -

I went to a rheumatologist at University of Chicago the other day,
on referral from a local doctor, because the local doctor ordered
auto-immune tests to see how I am doing. I have Celiac Disease,
Fibromyalgia, possibly Sjogren's Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, and lots of sensitivites, adverse reactions, and allergies.

The blood tests ordered by the local doctor showed an abnormally high Proteinase 3, one of two ANCA tests (whatever ANCA means) to check for vasculitis. The other tests, the MPO test, was zero i.e. negative.

The rheumatologist ordered a slightly different set of blood tests and a urine test, including repeating the two ANCA blood tests.

Today, I was in a health food store, and decided to look up vasculitis, and see what some alternative treatment references said. I was looking in Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements, by Michael Murray, the well-known doctor of Naprapathy and nutrition and natural approach expert.

There was an entry for vasculitis in the index, and it sent me to a page on the spleen. There, it mentioned that low spleen function, hyposplenism, where the spleen does not make enough of two proteins (or if a spleen has been removed, etc.), can lead to Rheumatoid Arthritis, a strong link with Celiac disease, and Vasculitis.

I came home and searched on Google, using the term hyposplenism, and up came some research articles from the medical research field.
The conclusion of the research was that hyposplenism is a common complication of Celiac Disease, but that being on the gluten-free diet does not significantly correct the hyposplenism.

One research study found that 70% of the adults with hyposplenism who participated in the study had Celiac Disease. Some were previously diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and others were diagnosed during the study.

Does anyone else know anything about hyposplenism and Celiac Disease? Considering what Dr. Murray says in his book, knowing there is a link is important.

Probably having my spleen checked (ultrasound to check for enlargement or other abnormality, and any tests for hyposplenism - anyone know about those?) is a good idea, so I emailed the Rheumatologist to tell her what I found out and ask for her input.

I think natural supplements places sell bovine spleen extract for people with hyposplenism to take, but I will check into this. I am waiting for a reply from my Rheumatologist on this.

Thank you, everyone. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki in Illinois