From:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:34:03 -0700

Hi fellow GF travellers,

I just returned home from a lovely and relaxing vacation in Newport, RI.  What made it most relaxing (other than the seaside beauty) is that I ate freely and well; only once did I have to question something on my plate!  I enjoyed many other aspects of this vacation, but will focus on food below. I am on a gluten free, dairy free diet.

Accommodations: Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast - full gourmet GFCF breakfast every morning was delicious and beautifully presented.  The owners also run the Architect's Inn just a few blocks away and twice we joined the breakfast party there and enjoyed meeting fellow vacationers.  It was such a blessing to be able to get up and enjoy a yummy breakfast before heading out on our day's adventures. We had peach pancakes, french toast, breakfast risotto, and "festive eggs" (whole eggs cooked to perfection in delicate bacon cups - the edges of the bacon made the egg look like a flower in bloom) as well as several different kinds of home-made muffins. I can't do the breakfasts justice because I didn't take pictures.  In short, they were wonderful. (I'm not sure why it has never occurred to me before to garnish my breakfast with fresh flowers; it makes for a lovely plate!) Our room was quaint and very comfortable and came complete with an array of simple
 luxuries that made our stay even a little bit more pleasant.  We found ourselves referring to the Inn as "home" during the time we were there and are so grateful to our hosts for all their kindnesses.

Restaurants: We ate out three times while in Newport and made our own GFCF flat bread sandwiches twice (thank you mom for teaching me how to make such delicious flat bread from Pamela's Gluten-free Bread Mix - it travels and keeps so well!).  The breakfasts were hearty enough that several times we bridged into an earlyish supper with just a snack in the afternoon.  When we did eat out, we went to places recommended by our innkeeper, Nick.  All three restaurants offered fine dining - these were not budget meals!  But they were delicious and safe and each a memorable experience.

The Mooring - This was our first dining experience in Newport.  The menu looked fairly GFCF friendly and the hostess and waiter assured us that the kitchen would be able to accommodate my dietary restrictions.

Highlights: the black tea crusted, seared rare ahi tuna

Lowlights: we had to send the first ahi tuna back because it was drizzled with creme fraiche. When I got the waiter's attention (that was a trick that busy night! we waited over 30 minutes for appetizers), he recognized after a moment that I needed the ahi tuna without the creme fraiche.  We also ordered sole (a white fish) that was perfectly cooked...and perfectly plain!  While the sole had a lovely subtle flavor of it's own and I was grateful that it was GFCF and safe, the presentation was disappointing: a large oval white plate with a fillet of white fish on one side and a white bowl full of plain white rice on the other.  No lemon, no garnish, no anything. Just white.  Finally, our dessert sorbet came with a large round of butter brittle (caramelized butter crisp?) decorating it.  My husband ate it for me.  Thankfully, I am not quite as sensitive to milk as to gluten for cross contamination.
What I could have done better: Called ahead and discussed menu options at a time when the chef was not busy, gone earlier in the dinner hour and on a less busy day (not Labor day!).

Overall, I would go back and be very specific when ordering and not leave it up to the wait staff to recognize what dairy-free and gluten-free mean even if they profess a good understanding (it's complicated after all).  I would go back for the ahi tuna - it was fantastic!

22 Bowen's - Our second big meal on the town and we decided to go for lobster.  We arrived early in the dinner hour and our waitress had plenty of time to dedicate to us throughout our leisurely meal.

Highlights: lobster and excellent, thoughtful service.  They provided an Italian olive oil for me in place of butter.  I mixed this with the coconut oil that I had with me in a handy mini-jar and then dipped the lobster in this delicious oil concoction.  It was so good.  (One time at Red Lobster they gave me canola oil instead of butter.  It was not good. So if you are going to buy lobster, bring your own high-quality coconut oil and mix it with some olive oil for a real treat.) Our waitress was even nice enough to bring me a warm bowl for my coconut oil because it was solid.  The rest of the meal was perfectly GFCF and yummy - a tasty salad, some sauteed mushrooms and a baked sweet potato that tasted like candy.

Lowlights: none

Overall, I would go back and certainly recommend this restaurant to fellow GFCF folk.

Tucker's Bistro: Our last dinner in Newport and definitely the crowning touch.  Tucker's has it's own gluten-free menu.  Before being seated, I asked some questions about how the entrees could be adjusted to accommodate dairy-free. The hostess went right back to the chef and came back with the mouth-watering details of what I could expect. (I just wanted to be sure after my experience with "white on white" earlier in the week.  Wait staff may say that "the chef will make it work," but there can be a far cry between the appetizing description of the original dish on the menu and what actually arrives on my plate.)

Highlights: native striped sea bass ceviche (one of the specials of the day), Long Island duck, and the most heavenly sorbet I have ever had the pleasure of tasting (and as dairy-free as I am, I try every kind that crosses my path!).  The service was just right, attentive and friendly but not intrusive. All the staff seemed relaxed and easy-going, like they were enjoying the evening as much as any of the guests.  There was a general atmosphere of good will as people gathered together to savor good food.

Lowlights: none. There was even gluten-free bread available before the meal for those folk that can still have dairy.

Overall: my favorite. Small operation with a personal touch that cannot be replaced with anything else!

Susan