From:
Russ Kiehne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:55:17 -0700
Here's the latest review:
KC2PJL
Rating: 2/5
May 14, 2008 11:54
Send this review to a friend
Not So Happy.....
Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my VR-500 2-3 months ago. I was looking for more than just what
scanners
cover in a hand-held package. I liked what I read regarding the features and
coverages
of the radio. My only negative (at the time) was the lack of CTCSS/DCS
squelch. Read
the reviews here and all in all thought I was making a good purchase. Bought
the
radio and software and am less than happy with the performance of this
radio.
I live just outside of NYC and there is a lot of radio activity on all the
bands.
The VR-500, regardless of whether it's connected to its rubber duck antenna,
the
Radio Shack 9-section antenna, or my roof-mounted discone antenna so
overloads on
any band that I have to jack the squelch all the way up, whether in manual
or automatic
squelch mode. Because of that, whatever I'm listening to had better be very
close
to my residence or I won't hear them at all while all the other radios in my
shack
will hear everything with the squelch set at a minimum level.
Outside of my house, which is where the radio would normally be used yielded
little,
if any, improvement in reception.
I just bought an Icom R5 and in the less than 24 hours I've had it I'm
totally amazed
at the difference in performance. I have the squelch set at the minimum and
this
radio hears everything that all my base scanners and ham transceivers hear.
Again,
that's regardless of which of the 3 antennas I have it on. I even had it at
work
on last night's overnight shift and was listening to some of the
factory-programmed
shortwave stations. They all sounded like they were local broadcast
stations! What
was really unique about this is that the radio room I dispatch from is in
the basement
of the building, I'm surrounded by 5 computers, and the radio was sitting
right in
the middle all of that. By the way...reception was via the rubber duck
antenna! I
do miss the full keypad and SSB capability that the VR-500 has but the R5's
performance
so outshines the VR-500 that I can live with those 2 'negatives'.
I don't know if all VR-500's are as sensitive as mine is or if mine is just
a fluke
but if you're considering this radio of course read the reviews here, but
also try
to find someone who owns one. Maybe you can spend some time with the radio
and its
owner to see if all VR-500's are like mine.
I own 3 other pieces of Yaesu equipment, 2 FT-7800 transceivers and an FT-60
hand-held
transceiver and I've had nothing but good things to say about them. I'm
really surprised
that the VR-500 seems to have fallen so short on performance.