VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Domenick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:14:52 -0500
I know a woman who is having problems. She is elderly and on a fixed
income. She let's her grandchildren use her pc when they visit. The pc
is old. Well, I don't know what the kids did but she picked up
something. Something called 'dogpile' keeps popping up when she boots. I
guess it is like bing or something. Then another program pops up saying
'warning - your system is under attack'. It wants her to buy something
called 'System Veteran' to remove all the viruses. Then Windows Defender
or something calling itself that pops up saying she is infected with
something called False Smoke trojan. She says she doesn't know if it is
really Windows Defender since some of the words are misspelled in the
warning.

I am going to research some of these phrases and programs. Isn't there a
free program on line that she can use to remove these things? Trimedia
or something? I forget the name. How about that AVG thing? She really
doesn't have the money to buy virus protection so that is why I put
Windows Defender on for her.

Can anyone tell me what to do to get rid of all this for her besides
reformatting? Thanks.

Mick

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]