VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:40:39 -0000
If OE is prompting you, then it must need to compact.  Nowadays, in Windows
XP, Outlook Express copies its folders (.bak files) to the Recycle Bin
during compacting, so that they can be restored to the program in the event
of something going wrong.  It will compact automatically after every 100
closures if you don't do it in the meantime.  The reasons why people may -
occasionally, in the past  - have lost messages during compacting are:  They
may have pressed another key during the compacting operation; or they may be
on-line and something else is causing on-line activity.  So let it happen.
it is a wrong idea not to compact (defragmentation equivalent) messages
every so often, anyway, as outlook Express becomes sluggish as it expands in
size.  So, go with the flow.  To be on the safe side, save important
messages to somewhere outside of outlook Express.

Whenever I close OE I'm asked about compacting messages to free up disk
space.  I have to hit okay or cancel to close OE,  I in no way want to hit
okay and I am afraid someday I'll hit the wrong key and hit okay by mistake.
Does anyone know how to cancel this nagging message.  I don't trust
compacting; I've heard to many stories of people having lost or messed up
files when doing this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jan Santos

[...]

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]