C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:28:54 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kendall D. Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [C-PALSY] Hi
To: Harbinder Parhar <[log in to unmask]>

Harbinder,

To those of us in the "states," Oakville Ontario isn't even that well
known...  By research, I guess I meant that you are using the list to
increase your personal knowledge base rather than having a first hand
(personal) experience with CP.

I don't see myself as "suffering with CP."  That implies a disease model I'm
uncomfortable with.  To me, CP is a condition that I've had my entire life
that causes some limitations, but is only a part of who I am.  There are
several aspects of what make you Harbinder as well, things like being
Canadian or living in Canada, being a student, etc.  Knowing so little about
you, I'm hesitant to provide more information.  Is the special education
assistant's program a certificate, or an associates degree?

The use of the "special children " terminology to describe students with
disabilities also makes me uncomfortable.

I work for a University in the states, and our "special education" program
is only available to graduate studernts.

I know that the list is in the "winter doldrums," but isn't anyone else out
there?!?

--

Kendall