VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:29:01 -0500
Hi Keith

One place to start would be the CAD tool itself:

--How much magnification / zoom capability does it support?

--How does it do metadata for all the design elements and how well does
his organization populate what is already supported? The screen reader
or screen enlarger would need ways to access all of that kind of
descriptive info but some organizations do everything visually and do
not populate all the documentation fields that would help in the first
place.

--Does the CAD tool do its own interface or does it have a browser
interface? Different browsers will do different things as far as
choices about how to magnify and what screen elements to preserve or
suppress at increased magnification. IE7 or 8 have better Zoom than
earlier versions but Firefox or Opera offer other clear choices.

If you Google accessible UML diagrams you might also find some info
that could offer pointers for this situation.

My last thought is just to for the client to think specifically about
what info he needs to do bids and then to concentrate on alternative
methods to get what he needs. I wind up doing that a lot for some data
model stuff but I know there are blind users out there who do more of
this than I do.

Best

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA