VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:10:58 -0700
Don:

I'd be very curious as to where you bought this book i.e. who is the
audio producer.  I'd like to know what commercial vendor is taking
advantage of SMIL.

It'd be great news.

SMIL stands for synchronized Multimedia Integration Language.  This
is an open W3C standard that is used in DAISY books, among other
places, including with videos.

Basically and very simply, with respect to DAISY content, what the
SMIL files do is to permit the synchronization of the text and
audio.  If you, for example, had a full-text full-audio DAISY book
(whether that audio is narrated by a human or TTS), the SMIL files
would be what would keep the text and audio in sync if you were, for
example, to be reading the book with a reading system that allowed
you to hear the audio, while simultaneously examining the text with a
braille display or with some vision on screen.  When there's
text-highlighting in a DAISY book, it's the SMIL that makes the
highlighting and audio stay in sync.

I believe that SMIL can also help with the calculation of time when
jumping and such.

Hope this helps.  for the really geeky among you, here's the link to
the SMIL main page, and from that page, you can find specifications
and the like.  See:

http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/

Maybe there's video in your book, Dan.

Jennifer