From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:39:52 +0100

That's just it. Most raw foodists who eat meat don't usually feel the need to chew their raw meats much, they just bolt them down like carnivores in the wild do, and only chew a very little(indeed rawists are usually only told to chew a lot when occasionally eating cooked foods). But even if we chewed all the time instead of bolting, it would still be impossible for us raw foodists to take as long as 6 hours in order to get enough calories for each  day.Most of us spend much less time over meals than cooked-dieters for obvious reasons  as we don't need to cook or do much re preparing our raw food.

Re other points:-  I just listened to the radio broadcast of Wrangham mentioned and he doesn't seem to add anything new to what he's been saying for years, most of which I covered previously. The 1 exception is that he has now finally grudgingly made a strong reference to the existence of the heat-created toxins produced by cooking, referring to Maillard molecules. He, of course, tries to make an unsupported claim that we must be adapted to them(even in the face of endless studies proving the opposite), yet admits that the amounts of heat-created toxins in cooked foods are vastly larger than the tiny trace amounts of natural AGEs found in the body re natural processes. That's the trouble, the scientific concensus now is that well-cooked foods, at least,  are in various ways  harmful to human health(especially well-cooked animal foods) so that means the pro-cooked argument is already half-lost.

Geoff

> Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:58:06 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Listen to Richard Wrangham on "How Cooking Made Us Human"
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I agree. Chimps have fairly blunt front teeth, while we have sharp nippers.
> Raw meat is no problem if you use your teeth to tear off small bits at a
> time. Our current way of eating meat, cutting mouthful-sized bites and then
> trying to chew them entire, isn't an efficient use of our teeth.
>
> For example, he once claimed that it would take an absurdly long 5.7 to 6.2
> > hours each day to chew enough raw meat in order to get enough calories. He
> > based this supposedly on a chimp's chewing rate(unlikely in and of itself,
> > IMO).
> > Geoff

Learn how to add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/167688463/direct/01/