BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:36:18 -0500
On 2/9/2010 1:33 PM, JIM HICKS wrote:
> Well, G.O. I wonder then just how you account for our society's transformation into the needy little consumers we have become.

Well, Jim, fortunate for me I don't have to account for it at all. And
you can't make me!

What I said, or maybe what I should have said was that I do not buy all
of the propaganda in the documentary as being the whole truth, nothing
but the truth. A convenient truth easy to wrap our heads around is
rarely the whole entire story.

I only brought up Freud as he and his theories, and his nephew and his
daughter were a central crutch of the thesis of the documentary whereas
if all that story were painted through Jung or Reich it would have been
a different narrative presented. Running it through Gurdjieff, or Winnie
the Poo is fine by me too. I want to suspend theory in favor of multiple
perspectives and to delight in the variation of many stories. In the
end, water is water.

Now, for your penny coffee, what the documentary did remind me of is
when I first encountered Freud it was in a paperback book and during
Methodist Church service I sat in a back pew and read the book while the
preacher made noises. My devout German-Scott step-grandmother caught me
at it and gave me all hell for reading a Jew's book in Christ's church.
Up till then I had never heard of any religion but a Baptist or a
Methodist and I was real confused as to just what her problem was. The
message I got was that if you are going to church and you want to read a
book it had better be the one they call the Good Book. They told us a
lot about souls but I admit I never think that I saw one. When I made a
problem to insist the teacher explain the math behind the trinity I got
booted out of Bible class. Things have been kinda like that since.

Between what we hear and what we say in response there is a little bit
of space in which we may get to think about what we are going to say
next before we say it. [I got that from a secularized Mormon.]

][<en