From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 07:28:48 -0500
Hi.

Let me explain my situation.  I've been asked to have my EchoLink station
linked up to our local ARES repeater so that communications between stations
over VOIP can be done.  This will probably be a temporary thing, but I'm
happy to do this.

Now for my problem.  I'd like to have something available if the power goes
out.  I'd need to power the radio, a desktop computer, speakers, and a DSL
modem.  Right now I have all this hooked to UPS units, but these are made to
get work done and shut the system down.  I'm not using a monitor, so I do
have some leeway as to my up time should the power go out.

I talked to our local technology net, and they recommended something like a
AGM battery, or some other kind of deep cycle battery.  I'm looking at all
the options that I have.  I can access our ARES repeater with 5 watts, so
that will help, but I'd like something that will allow me to run at higher
power with the TMV-71A.  Someone also suggested getting one of the batteries
from a walk behind fork lift.  From what they said that thing has a lot of
power to it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  I believe the commercial power is
underground, and in the past year and a month that I've lived here, I can
count the times when I lost power.  I'm living in an apartment, so I don't
thing management would be thrilled for me to have a generator in front of my
place.  Also, all my antennas are inside, and this location is good for VHF
and UHF communications.  It also has the benefit of limiting myself to
lightning hitting the equipment.

If I can get this all working on one system, and it doesn't cost too much,
I'll probably do the same thing for my TS-2000X.

Thanks again for the help.

Have a great day, and don't work too hard.

Kevin Minor