From:
Richard Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:38:23 -0700

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:00:01 -0700, I wrote:
>Recently we learned on this list that Outback Steakhouses are/were
>putting bread into bags of brown sugar to keep it fresh.  I can't
>believe that Outback is the only chain doing this; rather, I
>suspect that this may be a common practice in the restaurant
>business.  The next time that you are considering ordering
>a dish which contains brown suger, be sure to ask the manager
>if they use bread in the brown sugar.

Here are the replies I got:

Thank you sooooo much for posting this to the celiac list!!
You are awesome to share this information with us.  I never would
have thought of it, even though I'm aware that some people store
bread in their brown sugar to keep it fresh/from clumping.
Thank you!!!!!
-----
Thanks for your thought about other restaurants doing it also.
We are thinking right along with you!
-----
You are quite right, actually. From my time working there, I know
Texas Roadhouse does it. It is a widely used practice to keep brown
sugar from becoming one massive clump in the pan (covered at night
by saran wrap), since it is rarely kept in a bag once opened.
Generally I would suggest that you ask a kitchen manager about
their brown sugar, and request that you get some from a bag
that is new and unopened. Hope this helps.
-----
Texas Roadhouse in Gastonia, NC, say they do not put bread in
the brown sugar.  I asked at supper this evening.
-----
I eat at Longhorns more that the Outback like tonight I got the
hamburger minus the bun and my side was a sweet potato.
I found the sweet Cinnaminon stuff is full of sugar so we
just get them plain with butter on the side and sweeten it
with Spenda if necessary. I got a side salad also.
-----
that is bull, I'm a chef and i have never heard of that. the bread
would get moldy and turn the sugar sour. keep aggravating
the chains and you will have no g/f menu at all

Summing up:

Some restaurants don't use bread in the brown sugar.
But some do.  It is a sufficiently widespread practice
that we CD people should always check.

*******
*******