Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:33:54 -0500

Hi All--

Sorry for the delay in responding. A number of people asked for a summary, a
few sounding almost as desperate as myself, so I decided to wait until after
the first of the month when all of the advertisements don't swallow up other
information. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone who
responded!! Funny, how a little food item like a wrap can make such a
difference...

Basically, there are four GF flour tortilla wraps...and one in development
stage. The person who wrote to me didn't identify the company who was
developing a wrap. I wanted to email her, but I've lost her email to me,
so....if you're reading this, please write to me again.

My comments are in brackets [  ].
_____
1. Trader Joe's carries rice flour tortilla wraps.  They are big like flour
ones.  They are a little bit stiffer than "real" flour tortillas, but warm
up nicely in the micro.
_____
2. You can also order GF tortilla wraps from La Tortilla Factory...[the
ivory Teff were the favorite of all who replied]
http://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/ltf/jwsuite.nsf/ViewSelection/99D817775C2C177E882572AE00769745?Open&site=Home*ViewSelection=Tortilla_Talk**mb

"Smart Wraps by La Tortilla Factory (made in Santa Rosa- Sonoma County, CA.)
I prefer the Ivory Teff to the Dark Teff. These wraps are soft and have a
great flavor. These are the only ones I have found that remind me of the
pliability of a traditional flour tortilla. Delicious with traditional
Mexican fillings."
____
3. Foods For Life brown rice tortillas. [These are the only ones I could
find in my location. However, I'm thrilled - I can't have bean flours or
guar gum, so this wrap is perfect for me. I heat it in a dry skillet,
several minutes on both sides. When I move it to the plate, if I want a
giant taco shape, I fold it then - it's easy to shape while still hot.
Depending on how long I leave it in the skillet determines how flexible it
will be when it cools - one person uses them for pizza and one person makes
turnovers with them]
_____
4. Gluten Free mall sells GF flour tortillas.  [I think these are Don
Poncho]
http://www.celiac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=199
_____
[Below are wraps not identified by any specific manufacturer...]

1. Whole Foods sells a very good rice flour tortilla. I use them to make
pizza.  Heat the oven to 450. Add toppings and a little olive oil  and place
in oven for about 15 minutes.  Delicious. [Don't know if these are sold
under WRM name or are manufactured by someone else]

2. We also liked something we tried that came from Florida; I think it was
called "lavash" and was shaped like a thick tortilla, was made with millet
and flaxseed, had a great flavor, but did have "bumpy" texture like maybe
the millet and flaxseed weren't milled into a flour before use.  I'm afraid
I didn't write down the brand name but if it sounds appealing, you could
probably search for it online using keywords from the description I gave.
_____

Thanks, again, everyone. For those who wanted the recipe for my flour
tortillas, I didn't forget you. I'll try to get it posted to the list
sometime this week.  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******