From:
Rosalie Peipert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:41:31 EDT

Thank you all, celiac list mates for the information.

I got the drug at Walmart. It is made by Mylan Pharmaceuticals and is  gluten
free. Another company making it gluten free  is Roxanne, 10 mg  seems to be
the dosage, although some women are taking a higher dosage.

You can ask the pharmacist to check for you every time you renew it as
sometimes they change companies.When you are dealing with generics, there are
numerous manufacturers so nobody can just state that amitryptaline is  gluten-free
or not.  You'll need to find out from your pharmacist what  manufacturer they
use and then you'll need to investigate it or if you have a  really good
pharmacist,they might do it for you

Most pharmaceutical companies in the US make it gluten free.

This drug is on the market a very long time and was known as brand name
Elavil, the patent ran out and it is now known as amitryptiline. It is on the
_www.glutenfreedrugs.com_ (http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com)  list.

1. One respondent said she was taking it for her IBS. Most  noticeable  side
effects:
weight gain, dry mouth, foggy head in the beginning.

2. I started with 10 mg., just checked my prescription it is 50 mg. It  does
not make me sleepy or brain fog, but when I do go to sleep, I sleep  soundly.
I used to hear every noise during the night, sprinklers going on, paper  being
dropped, but now I do not hear anything. I do get up to use the bathroom,
probably twice during the night and then go right back to sleep. I have a
tendency to stay up late, but I also find that if I don't get enough sleep, the
fibromyalgia pain is more prevalent. I probably have been taking it for eight
years, and if I forget to take it, I have no side effects. So I don't  believe
that there is any addiction to the medication.

3.  I take it 10mg. for chronic pain. It has really made a  difference for me
- I am able to feel rested, as opposed to feeling/fighting the  pain all the
time. When I started on it, I couldn't believe how much better  I felt.  I've
probably taken it for about 2 years and have no bad  reaction from it. Now I
take it for granted and enjoy not dealing with  the pain drain.

4.  I do get dry mouth and tiredness in AM if I  take amitriptyline later
than 7:30P, but I get up at 5A and start work  at 6A.  I take amitriptyline 40-50
mg at bedtime to prevent  headaches related to osteoarthritis.  Elavil is a
very old drug, one carbon  element off from celebrex.  My MD thinks it is a
safe drug.  I do skip  some nights just to prove I can, and take 50mg on weekends
when I do not  have to get up for work.  I hope the drug works well for  you.
 A good nights sleep can make one more tolerant during the  day.

5. I have been taking Amitriptylin (generic for Elavil) for at least  15
years.  It is not an easy medication to start on.  You will be  tired the morning
after for awhile.  You are starting on a very low dose so  maybe you will not
feel it.  If it does happen just know that it will go  away in time.

6. I have fibromyalgia and was prescribed amitrip for that - to help me
sleep. This was before I was diagnosed with celiac 8 yrs ago so don't know the
name of the manufacturer or if it was GF. It did help fibro and consequently the
 pain did subside somewhat. It will make you gain weight. I found out  the
hard way by gaining a LOT! After going GF the pain seemed to be less  so I
stopped the drug to try to lose weight

7.  i take it because i can't sleep at night and the doc also said  that
taking  my effexor for depression and the elavil will help with my  migraines. so
mainly i take it to sleep at night( if not, i have trouble falling  asleep and
staying asleep.  i haven't had any side ffects from the elavil

Please get your B12 level and thyroid checked before going on this drug. I
was prescribed it for chronic pain and insomnia, and it's a nasty character.
The  severe dry mouth alone can cause your gums to recede and cause dental
problems.  In truth, it may just mask symptoms that could be better addressed.

It seems that all the respondents were women. Men are not given this for
pain? I know that women are more prone to fibromyalgia than men.
Rosalie (NJ)

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621488x1201450096/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)