From:
"Hachmeyer, Mr. Paul S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:45:32 +0000
Peter,
There are a number of things you could try.
Have you run 'align print cartridges' from the printer menu and does it produce anything?  If it does, try using a different parallel printer cable or other suggestions below.  If, not, it suggests bad ink cartridges or a bad printer, since the pc is completely out of the picture.
Remove the ink cartridges, check to see that the contacts on the printer and the cartridges are clean, and reinsert.  Were the ink cartridges hp or an aftermarket, were they fresh dated?   The cartridges, hp 23 and 45 are nice, high capacity cartridges, but I've had a few stale-dated ones that would not print.
Look through the printer menus on either the printer or the pc.  See if you can find an hp utility for cleaning the ink cartridges.  This forces through some ink and produces a test page or two.  If you can't find a utility, try the hp site and check the printer manual.  There is also a setting for print quality, something like draft, normal or best. Try printing a page or two in best mode.
Try using mspaint.exe to create a page with blocks of red, yellow, blue and black and try to print it.  The program is included with windows in the system32 folder..
Did you install the drivers for the printer or did you use the default drivers that might have been on the pc?  You could try reinstalling the drivers for your operating system available on the hp.com website.
Good luck!
Paul Hachmeyer