From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:04:18 -0500
Tom,
 About the same time as your origional post, I had bought a MSI
TV@nywhere card for about $65.00 and wanted to give myself time to try
it before replying.

It works great. Using an external VCR/DVD player I have transfered VHS
and DVD as well as audio cassettes to disc with no trouble. As
mentioned, you may have to experiment with capture settings. The
quality of the final dvd may not be up to factory standards and you
can't capture the ability to use chapters controls as with a factory
DVD, but overall the final product is most acceptable (at least to my
eye).

 I have had two of the All-in-Wonder cards and never really got the
hang of them. As mentioned, they have a bit of a learning curve which
may have been a bit over my head at the time..not sure.

 As to streaming video, I haven't tried to capture any so I don't know
if it would do what you want or not. (I don't have that pc connected
to the net).

Good Luck,
-Phil-

On 11/29/08, Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am jumping in a bit late here, but I do have some comments on this since I
> went through this process myself. The ATI All-in-wonder card is one way to
> go. I have used one of these cards myself. However, there is quite a bit of
> learning to be done in how to capture the video input. Specifically, on my
> system at least, I had dropped frames when I tried to capture without
> compression. It also uses up a whole lot of disk space when you do a raw
> capture. It is in setting up the codecs and compression settings that a lot
> of trial and error learning takes place.
>
> An alternative to using a video capture card is to buy a USB video
> converter. They cost about $100 or even less. These devices accept a video
> input and output an MPEG format compressed video. The problem is that you
> are now relying on someone else's judgment of how to compress the file, but
> it does save you the trouble of making those choices yourself. Till you
> learn how to properly configure the video capture, it might be a lot easer
> to use one of these external solutions. In any case, be sure you have a
> whole lot of disk space available. Fortunately, 1TB hard disks are now down
> to $100 or so!
>
> Just my thoughts. Good luck.
>
> Peter Shkabara
> 805-929-2085