From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:19:16 -0700
Make sure that you are using only the RJ-45 jack on the cable modem, and not
the USB port as well. Most cable modems will wig out if you try to use both
connections at once. You usually only need the cable modem's software
package when you use USB, and not when using Ethernet. So long as you can
get the proper network settings [IP address, gateway, and DNS server
address(es)], even Windows ME should work fine over a wired broadband
network. Make sure your wired network adapter is installed correctly on the
laptop and that either DHCP is enabled or the IP settings are entered in
manually, and things should function properly. About the only hangup I can
see beyond that is that some ISP's use a MAC address filter that only lets
certain machines connect to the cable modem. I use a home router from
Linksys between my computer and my cable modem, so I can use multiple
computers over the same connection. All my cable modem sees is the Linksys
router. Hope all this info is helpful.

Kenneth Whyman
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Ronald Smith <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to connect my Dell Inspiron 8000, an old laptop (256 Mb) using
> Windows Millenium, to the net via a BT Total Broadband network which already
> is working for another laptop using a wired Ethernet Cable 6 connection.
> But the BT Broadband Desktop Help can't detect the router and seems to be
> unable to find the cable connection.
> The Internet Connection Wizard also says I must be logged in, but there
> seems to be no facility for setting up a cable connection.
>
> I notice in Device manager there are some network adapters – NDIS 1394, and
> Microsoft Virtual Private Network Adapter – and wonder if there should be
> some other network component present; or is there some other configuration
> to be adjusted, or missing device such as a network card?
>
> Or is it the case that this OS and this machine can't handle broadband?
>
> Any help gratefully welcome.
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>