From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:39:06 -0700
Redoing the CPU heatsink is probably a good idea, with Artic Silver being a
leading suggestion (previous poster has a good choice here). As for cleaning
off the leftovers from the last thermal compound application, try isopropyl
alcohol as a solvent, and use the good stuff that's at least 60% by volume
or stronger. You can also try a pure copper heatsink and fan combination
instead of the standard aluminum ones, since copper has higher heat
conductivity. Amazingly enough, most cases will stay cooler when you close
them up and use the fans set the right direction to feed air in the front,
and blow it out the back, creating a wind tunnel of sorts over the board.
See which way your fans are set and flip them over if they are blowing the
air the wrong way. Hope all this helps. :)