CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eli Rohn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:44:06 -0400

This is in response to a private message I got from a member of this group.
I believe many will find the information interesting.
Regards,
Eli
---------- Original Message Starts Here ----------
Celiac is getting much more awareness in Israel lately. About a year and a
half ago a new food labeling law was passed, requiring the indication of the
presence of Gluten. I was very active in campaigning for more awareness six
months later, when the law took effect. I wrote letters to the leading food
manufacturers in Israel, informally educating them about the new law and
about Celiac. I had some personal telephone conversations with such persons,
and they all seemed to be understanding and very apologetic after they
learned of the severe medical consequences of unmarked Gluten in the food.
Few manufacturers that did not abide by the law three months later got a
stern letter explaining them the toxic effects of gluten on my daughter
along with a direct quote of applicable laws, starting with the labeling
law, negligence, and management responsibility. Unlike the US, a corporate
veil doesn't automatically indemnify managers and company owners from
negligence. (Enron's managers will have spent a few years in jail, had they
conducted their business under Israeli law).

There are a few producers of Gluten free products in Israel. Most of the
products are frozen, and are found in select stores only. There's one
restaurant in Tel-Aviv that's Gluten free. There's one bakery in Tel-Aviv
that has incredible cakes, all Gluten free. The State of Israel subsidizes a
domestic Gluten Free flour. It costs only 10% of the normal price, and it is
found in all supermarkets. However, living Gluten free is costly and not
very convenient.

The Israeli Celiac Association was founded about four years ago, and it is
run from a private home in Ramat-Gan by a dedicated couple. It has grown
since inception. Their website is http://www.celiac.org.il/ there's a link
for some English information as well, but most of the site is in Hebrew.

My daughter is about to finish high school. Unlike most of her classmate,
she will not serve in the military (women serve for 20 month or thereabout).
Instead, she is recruited to a program named "National Service" where people
exempt from military service can perform civilian duties, providing social
and community services in development towns, hospitals, schools, day centers
for children at risk, etc. My daughter had several choices, and the one she
took was to help and mentor retarded children in a special education
facility. National service is a rite of passage in Israel, be it a military
service or a civilian service, as my daughter will perform. Apart from its
military value, serving in the army has traditionally been credited with
helping to integrate new immigrants, developing agricultural settlements and
providing supplementary education to many young Israelis.

As for the Hyatt - I did not have any problems there, except that it is
evident they lack the proper awareness. No problem because I was there by
myself, and I do not have dietary constraints that are not self-imposed. It
is the lack of awareness that bothers me, and thus the request to help make
the Hyatt (and similar establishments) more aware of Celiac.

Regards,
Eli