BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:29:27 -0400
My online writer friends, particularly my gay online writer friends,
were making a lot of noise about Lady GaGa a few months ago. So I was
curious what the chatter was about and have taken the time to pay
attention.

She did a spot on Saturday Night Live, and another with Elton John at
the Grammies. You can find her on YouTube.

It is said that she is very intelligent, which she may be, or that can
be taken as it is often said of entertainers who write analytical papers
and drop out of NYU because they are geniuses. As a performer once you
get past the garish costumes the music is not all that exciting and she
is obviously clumsy in her live presentation. Clumsy as in she is not
Ginger Rogers smooth and clumsy as in I really don't think she meant to
bang herself in the forehead with that fancy hula hoop. She says that
she wants to recreate Warhol's Factory... but for me at least there is
something that does not quite make the chops of a Warhol. There is so
much about the presentation that comes off as 'packaged' and not in a
sense to cause an existential crisis on the part of the audience. I
prefer Patti Smith. I also prefer not to have my musical or aesthetic
tastes blatantly mass cultivated.

For me the most exciting thing about Lady GaGa is Reverend Fred Philips
of Topeka, Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church and his nutcase family are
running around protesting her performances.

][<