From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:23:05 -0400
Hi Richard.

Since I've never used HRD, I cannot answer that part of your question.  I
do use MCP2000 to program the radio as I find it to be somewhat easier than
to that end the direct serial connection serves me well.

At the time that the TS2000S was introduced, it was somewhat unusual to
connect a radio without some type of interface because most radios weren't
set up to communicate serial data directly with a computer.  I suspect that
on some future model, the industry will catch up with the computer industry
and start using USB ports to do their communication, but we aren't there yet.

Anyway, since HRD works with a bunch of radios, many of which aren't set up
to connect directly to a computer's serial port without some type of
interface, I wonder if this is where the confusion is coming in.

Anyway, regarding memories, there is no restriction on how you assign
memories except for those few memories that have been set up as tunable
memories.  As has been pointed out earlier, the sub transceiver only
operates in AM and FM modes, and only covers 2 meters and 70 cm.

The main receiver appears to be somewhat more sensitive than the sub
receiver, although the sub receiver is certainly adequate for most
applications.

I tend to keep my most frequently used repeaters in lower channel numbers
just because they are easier to remember and I've tried to stay consistent
in memory assignments between my TS2000S memories and the ones in my TMG707
so that I would know which memory to go to even when I am sitting at a
different radio.  I stuffed all of the weather frequencies in the 162 to
169 channel range, so that these frequencies are easy to address.

Basically, you can use whatever memory arrangement makes sense to you--for
the most part, the radio doesn't care what sequence they go in.  It's just
a matter of whether you can find the memory quickly when you want it.

Frankly, I don't think I'll ever find enough things to fill up 300
memories, and that's okay because I couldn't keep track of three hundred
things anyway.

73, de Lou K2LKK