From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:46:27 -0500
Gee, Shaun, those are some pretty broad statements.  No real gain from
running an amp?  How about working the rare DX on the first or second call,
as opposed to trying for 15 minutes and never getting him?  Or keeping an
enjoyable QSO going longer as the band starts to close, or  being able to
hold a frequency on a crowded band?   I ran low power for 20 years before
getting my first amp 1 year ago.  It's the biggest hammer in my tool box,
but it's not the only tool I have. running low power for 20 years made me a
better op.    I cringe when I see the newbie get his ticket one day and the
kilowatt amp the next.

As for interference:  Never had another ham tell me I was too wide and never
had a complaint from my neighbors on either side.  I have a cemetery across
the street, and when  they start knocking on the door, that's when I move.

73, Steve KW3A