From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:54:36 -0700
when they set up the digital box, they'll likely use either HD if the tv has
that sort of hook up, S-vidio, again if the tv is new enough to have it, or
composit vidio (RCA style jacks) and rca style audio hook ups.
The same will be used for any VCR's/DVD players on the system.
the coax coming from the hookup ont on the wall will likely be high grade
supplied by the tech...I imagine most new installations are using the
highest grade coax for the digital stuff due to the low signals and
perpencity for loss and interpherence.
They may want to replace the coax coming from the poll or the coax in the
house as well.
You can request that they test your cable lines for leakage and signal loss
from the poll to the outlet on your wall to make sure it is in good
condition if they don't want to replace it.
Around here, the cable and phone companies are in such fearce competition
with each other for the internet, telephone and TV markets that they will
bend over backwards for your business.  this usually means free gear,
replacement of old cables and lines and filters, new outlets in the house,
nearly anything you might want for free.
The techs i've had here are also very good about sticking around for an
extra few minutes to help you familiarize yourself with the remote and so
on.
The way our guys see it is, that as long as they are at one location, they
don't have to get to another location as long as there is something the
client needs or wants from them...i've had cable and phone techs come for 3
or more hours installing new lines and jacks and helping with setup and
going over channels and remotes with me.
the two main players here don't seem to have a set in stone schedule that
the techs need to follow as far as time goes and getting to other
installations.
This goes the other way though too in that when you request an installation,
they tell you anytime from 8AM to 4PM on a given day...there is no set time
that they'll show up.
73
Colin, V A6BKX