From:
"John J. Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:34:29 -0800
Hi all, you all would almost have to know Steve as long as I have to
really appreciate that story!  GRIN!

One of my most memorable experiences actually took place off the air!  I
was in the hospital with a burst appendix in 1981, during the time when
Ronnie Milsap was having his run of number one hits!  I knew that he was
a ham, but did not know his call.  Then one day, on Bob Kingsley's
country countdown, he was bragging about how Ronnie could put up his own
ham radio antenna's even though he was blind, and he said, "For anyone
who is wondering, Ronnie's ham radio call sign is, WB4KCG.  Needless to
say, I was overjoyed to find out this news and later that year, after
recieving some QSL cards for Christmas, I sent one to Ronnie with a
message on the back, saying, Never worked you, but just wanted to say hi
from a fellow ham and working musician, keep up the good work!  I signed
it John, WB8LDU, wich was my original call.  Months went buy and I never
heard anything, so I figured he never got it, or it got circular filed or
something, when sometime late that following summer, I recieved a card,
shaped like a record.  It was of course from WB4KCG and was signed by
Ronnie.  I don't know to this day whether he ever actually read my card
or not, but I have the card still.  I did have a chance to talk to him on
the phone, when was a guest on ACB Radio, so I had a chance to thank him
for that card!  GRIN!

I'm sure I will come up with some other more conventual on the air
stories, but that story always comes to mind when I am asked about
memorable ham radio experences!

73 and 88 to all of the YL's:
John
John Jacques